Getting your mobile applications tested from all aspects is very important for ensuring optimum performance and user experience. The mobile app testing process involves running multiple tests on a mobile app before its official launch. Testing of mobile apps is done to ensure that your app is free from all issues and delivers a seamless user experience. In this article, we are going to discuss the different types of mobile application testing services you need to know:
Types of Mobile Application Testing to Consider
Mobile apps should undergo numerous tests before their launch. There are various parameters that need to be tested. As a leading mobile app development company in India, we perform all types of mobile app testing to make sure that your mobile app is flawless. The different types of mobile app testing are explained below in detail:
Functionality testing helps in checking whether the functionalities of the application meet the required objectives. This type of testing primarily focuses on the key objectives and app flow. Functionality testing verifies whether the app is capable of launching and installation properly. It also evaluates the ease of sign-up and login and rendering of real-time push notifications as well as the smooth functioning of text boxes and buttons. With the help of professional mobile app developers, you can perform this type of testing to ensure that your mobile app is functioning properly.
Types of Functionality Testing
- Unit Testing –Involves testing of individual units of code of the application to ensure that each unit or grouped unit is working according to the objectives and requirements.
- Integration Testing –Involves the testing of collection of units or modules to see if they are together in harmony.
- End-to-End Testing –Involves complete testing of the whole function of the mobile app. Mobile app developers perform end-to-end testing of the primary functions of the mobile app.
Usability testing helps you determine how the mobile app makes it easier for end-users to meet their objectives. This testing process involves assigning specific and real-life scenarios of using the app to a particular group of users. Usability testing depends on the collected direct feedback from the users.
Therefore, there is no bias in the mobile application testing process while also ensuring the enhancement of key areas. Usability testing also checks if the app design is intuitive and focuses on easy use and customer experience.
Another one on this list of types of mobile application testing is performance testing. This type of testing checks your mobile app’s speed, performance, stability, and responsiveness under various workload conditions. The main aim of performance testing is to make sure that your mobile app addresses the performance objectives.
Mobile app testers also fix the performance bottlenecks before launching the application. There are several parameters that are tested in the performance testing process:
- Loading Speed
- Battery Usage
- Data Transfer
- Network Speed, etc.
Some of the common types of performance tests include:
- Load Tests –Involves testing the performance of an app based on the load it is expected to manage daily. The app is tested by providing the expected number of end-users. Mobile app developers test the app across various locations to increase the number of users and number of sessions every day. Load tests assure that your mobile app performs optimally under such load.
- Stress Tests –Involves testing the app under extreme stress conditions. Stress situations are those times when the user base becomes more than the expected amount. These tests help to ensure that your app runs flawlessly in such situations.
- Endurance Tests –Involves assessing the app’s performance during increased workload for a long time. This test assures that if the workload surpasses the average for a long time, the mobile app can still endure and perform optimally. As a leading mobile app development company in India, we have a team of seasoned mobile app testers who have a knack for creating well-designed endurance tests.
- Volume Tests –Involves testing the app by increasing the volume of data or transaction it has to process. This is done to handle situations where the app has to manage a voluminous amount of data or transactions compared to the average.
- Spike Tests –Involves testing the performance of the application during an abrupt increase or decrease of end-users.
According to reports, 80% of users are more likely to uninstall an application if it has security issues. Therefore, it is very important for mobile app testers to perform security testing of mobile apps.
If your application requires the personal information of end-users for various transactions, then you must provide the guarantee of complete confidentiality, authenticity, and integrity of your app. So, a mobile app developer or QA team should focus more on data security and app behavior in various device permission schemes.
Security testing encompasses three parameters – Data security, Hacking, and Authentication & Authorization. A mobile app should also ensure encrypted data communication. Our mobile app testers perform dynamic, static, and penetration analyses to check your app’s security.
Interruption testing is crucial for testing the app behavior in an interrupted state before resuming the earlier state. These interruptions may include incoming calls, SMS, alarms, push notifications for mobile applications, network connection loss/recovery, battery low or full, and plugged in/out while charging the phone. When there’s an interruption, the app usually runs in the background and resumes to the previous state prior to the interruption.
One of the most crucial types of mobile application testing is compatibility testing. It is a variant of non-functional testing that is essential for ensuring the operation of a mobile application on various multiple operating systems, devices, internal hardware specifications, applications, and network environments. Compatibility testing helps mobile app testers to check the compatibility of an application with multiple operating systems and their versions, devices, networks, browsers, and other parameters.
There are two types of compatibility testing:
- Backward Compatibility Testing –Involves testing of the app’s behavior with older software versions.
- Forwards Compatibility Testing –Involves testing of the app’s behavior with new and beta software versions.
Localization testing is crucial for mobile applications that target a specific geographic region. Mobile app developers perform this test to check the mobile application for its responsiveness to specific language and culture-related aspects of the targeted region.
Localization testing includes verification of local currency, use of appropriate time zone date and time formats, different local regulations requirements, and text and user interface.
Installation testing, also known as implementation testing, is done to verify if a mobile application is properly installed and uninstalled. It is also essential for ensuring that updates are seamless and free from errors. Installation testing also checks the results when users do not update a mobile app.
Manual testing helps in directing the complexity of mobile app testing thoroughly. Manual testing helps mobile app developers to ensure that the app is performing as expected.
QA testing experts could work from time to time to review a mobile app that could deliver reliable and positive results.
The common types of manual tests include physical interface tests, exploratory testing, user review tests, and complex tests.
As a professional mobile app development company in India, we run extensive manual and automated testing to deliver an absolutely bug-free product to our clients.
Ascertain mobile application quality checks are extremely complex and tedious, automated mobile application testing proves to be a better option. Properly configured and efficiently executed automated testing alongside manual testing help in ensuring quality and releasing high-end products quickly. Automated testing saves a lot of time and cost of mobile app testing.
All the aforementioned types of mobile app testing are crucial for every mobile application. As the market competition is growing day by day, an application must stay competitive to survive in the market. While no app can be perfect, it is important to invest in mobile app testing services to ensure that your mobile app is robust, glitch-free, and highly secured.
If you’re looking for professional mobile application testing services then Mobibiz is here to help you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1. Which tool is the best for mobile app performance testing?
Some of the best tools for testing app performance include Test Complete, Test IO, Appium, Robotium, Xamarin.UITest, Espresso, XCUI Test, Ranorex Studio, etc.
Q.2. What is the best way to test mobile apps?
It is best to test your mobile applications on a real device cloud that comes with a wide range of iOS and Android mobile devices.
Q.3. How much does mobile application testing cost?
A recent Clutch survey revealed that the total cost of mobile app testing and deployment ranges from $5,000 to $25,000+. Also, 63% of the app owners reported that the app testing costs somewhere between $5,000 and $10,000.