React Native has become one of the most preferred technologies amongst startups and businesses that are planning to enter into the app domain cost-effectively and within the shortest possible time. It is one of the popular cross-platform mobile app development frameworks used by developers from all over the world. About 42% of app developers have used React Native for developing powerful mobile applications. If you’re looking for a cost-effective solution for building your mobile app, then opting for React Native app development services can be the best option. However, to create a high-performing, offline-mode accessible app that can be scaled anytime, choosing the relevant tech stack with the right database for React Native. In this blog post, we have compiled a list of the 8 best local databases for React Native app development. They might meet your requirements like the app’s scalability as your user base grows or supporting offline development capabilities.
How to Select the Best Database for React Native App Development?
If you’re looking to hire mobile app developers, you should consider hiring React Native app developers. However, there are certain factors that you need to consider before you choose React Native app development services.
Poor data management can cause your application to crash. Most of the databases usually clear their cache from time to time which ensures that adequate memory is accessible for running an app optimally.
For most of the applications, it is assessed that data is stored either in the form of key values or a JASON structure. Therefore, it is important to choose a database that can handle complex data structures like full documents or objects.
Data Conflict Management
Data conflicts are common when you integrate more cooperation-related features into your app. You should select a database that shares the rules for conflict management on the website or repository page.
Deep dive into the database documents to be familiar with the ways they manage syncing and conflicts or discover the created trade-offs and its potential impacts on your app.
Offline Data Synchronization
Currently, users are seeking applications that can work in offline mode as well or where there’s poor internet connectivity. This makes it important to integrate the database that enables data synchronization once the users are once again connected to the internet
As the application becomes successful and popular, the responsibilities of developers increase as they need to handle a voluminous amount of data. The number of user requests will increase which will make it difficult to give accurate data to them. Therefore, it is important to know about the concurrency method applied by several React Native local databases.
You should consider choosing a React Native database that can be integrated effortlessly. In this way, you can improve the development process and ease the developers’ tasks.
If you want to know more about the factors to consider when choosing a local database for React Native app development, you should consider consulting with a professional React Native app development company.
The Most Popular Local Databases for React Native App Development
Realm helps in the creation of offline and real-time apps that can work on smartphones as well as wearables. It is also advantageous for React Native mobile apps for Android and iOS. It is created on top of SQLite or ORM. Hence, this database has its own database engine and does not depend on key-value stores.
If you need to build high-performance apps or manage huge amounts of data, then Realm is the best database for you. As a React Native app development company, we prefer using Realm for developing large-scale mobile applications.
Advantages of Realm
- Realm Sync executes in the background to locally record service requests and user interactions.
- You can easily implement offline-first architecture with Redux offline.
- Takes advantage of multiple encryption standards for various mobile platforms.
- It has a rich set of APIs.
Firebase functions with real-time NoSQL DB to create React Native mobile apps. It is known for its smooth data synchronization and offline data change abilities. It can manage M and C of the MVC architecture for React Native mobile applications.
Advantages of Firebase
- Firebase enables data synchronization in real-time for all clients at a given time. It is an essential feature for applications that experience poor internet connection.
- It has a cross-platform API that needs minimal and effortless setup. Moreover, no app server is required to access data as it can be accessed directly by a smartphone.
- You can create apps that have offline persistence abilities. It would involve marking the availability of a user offline or online and recording timestamp every time the user becomes offline.
- It can fulfill users’ roles so that you can determine control on files.
SQLite database helps in providing local storage for mobile applications. It is lightweight in nature and requires minimal setup efforts. You can even connect it to the mobile app to directly access the database.
Advantages of SQLite
- As it is an ACID-complaint database, it applies all SQL standards, omitting only a few of them. It comes with file-based library architecture and is loaded with tools that can manage all types of data efficiently.
- It stores data in the cross-platform database file.
- You can integrate a react-native-SQLite-storage plugin for data management within the mobile app for offline accessibility.
Advantages of PouchDB
- It eliminates the need for running queries over the network as PouchDB remains within a browser. It facilitates the quick execution of queries.
- It synchronizes data with a supported sever for running applications in online as well as offline mode.
- PouchDB supports SSL so you can easily encrypt data with AES256.
- It facilitates easy data replication.
Another one on our list of best local databases for React Native app development services is Async Storage. This DB is a local storage system that allows developers to persist data between app reboots while saving the data locally. Async Storage is available in React Native by default so you can use it for any further deployment.
Advantages of Async Storage
- It offers an effective solution for storing the data needed by the application even after the user closes the app or device.
- You can access it whenever you need it.
Watermelon DB is built on top of SQLite and provides the capability to scale thousands of data recordings without affecting your mobile app’s speed. This DB is well-optimized to create large, complex applications using React Native with real-world performance.
Advantages of Watermelon DB
- It provides an offline-first mechanism by synchronizing your engine
- It is possible to create cross-platform mobile apps with SQLite foundation
- It provides static typing with the flow.
- It offers simple data plugging into components.
- The UI gets rendered automatically whenever a change is made in the database.
It is a lightweight, open-source database used for React Native app development services. You can implement the Vasern API for local data storage, cloud storage, and data synchronization over applications. The structure and design of the database are inspired by various open-source databases.
Advantages of Vasern DB
- Provides end-to-end database synchronization
- Ensures consistency and performance
- Speedy operations
The last one on our list of best local databases for React Native app development services is BerkeleyDB. It provides a fast-performing backend to help React Native app developers efficiently manage data in various ways. Its API supports multiple platforms including iOS and Android.
- It can manage data in various ways including the ways how SQL does or through Key/Value pair data as byte arrays.
- It also supports multiple data items for a single key.
Advantages of Berkeley DB
- It supports concurrent access for multiple app users.
- It comes with industrial-strength transaction support.
- It is user-friendly.
As a professional React Native app development company, we have experience working with all the above-mentioned local databases for React Native app development. If you’re looking to hire mobile app developers for mobile app development, then it would be great if you hire React Native app developers for your project. React Native offers numerous compelling reasons to choose it for mobile app development.
You may share your mobile app development requirements with our React Native experts and get a robust, intuitive, and scalable mobile app solution for your business.
Q.1. What is the main difference between React Native and ReactJS?
In React, the code is rendered through Virtual DOM whereas, in React Native, Native APIS are used to render components on mobile.
Q.2. What is the best backend for React?
Q.3. Is React Native for the front-end or backend?
React Native is only responsible for the front-end, that is, the app’s UI/UX design.
Have More Questions? Get All Your Questions Answered by Our React Native Experts.